Friday, April 6, 2012

Morality and the Federal Budget


Jesus said, "…come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me."
Jesus did not say, “…come you that have all that you need and more and inherit the kingdom; for I was hungry and you called me a freeloader, I was thirsty and you told me to fend for myself, I was naked and you called me too lazy to get a job, I was sick and you told me that to ensure that we all have healthcare would be to infringe on your God given freedom (even though nothing in scripture is written about your freedom of contract), I was in prison and you left me there.”
As the western world continues to slip ever deeper into the unholy alliance of government abdication to market forces and corrupt klepto-capitalism, society is becoming ever more capricious and callous in its attitudes toward the poor.  The result is a growing lack of moral imagination and the capacity to truly appreciate the needs and dreams of our neighbors and the dehumanizing force of market-centered morality.
In her compelling book, Behind the Beautiful Forevers, Katherine Boo paints a picture of life in a Mumbai slum that could fail to move only the most callous of hearts.  She explores the intricate reality of life in this sprawling area in the shadows of Mumbai’s airport and the growing luxury of the market driving class.  It is a moving human story that invites the reader to stand in the shoes of a resident in Annawadi and, for a moment of imagination in the pages of the book, know what it is to be cast aside in deference to “progress.”
Standing in stark contrast to Boo’s book is the budget recently passed in the House of Representatives.  An appalling breach of the social contract, the budget is more troublingly a giant step toward a society united not by a common bond of humanity but by the forces of the market. 
The implications of allowing the market to supplant our common humanity as the centering force of society are vast.  In a market driven society, an individual’s contribution to the Gross Domestic Product becomes the metric for that individual’s worth.  There is no inherent worth in the market, there is only assigned worth.  When the market becomes the centering principle of our society and our social morality, it becomes not only easy but acceptable to simply ignore the poor, undereducated, marginalized or anyone else deemed to lack value to the system. 
That Jesus’ message rejects this sort of market centered ethic is beyond question.  To make the claim that an Ayn Rand fueled Atlas Shrugged style individualism has any purchase in the word of God is bordering on the absurd.   Nonetheless, this is the central argument of the “market as morality” movement.  It is only, they say, when we respect the individual’s right to rise or fall all on their own that we can be truly free. 
How can the imprisonment of hunger, poverty or marginalization be free?!
The budget passed by the House is, nonetheless, rooted in this ethic.  It removes the generations old social safety net and replaces it with a glass walled abyss.  It declares that as a nation we will invest only in those people who offer some measurable return on our investment (i.e. millionaires get tax breaks because they supposedly create jobs but poor families get their SNAP food support cut because there is nothing to be gained by feeding them.)
Thankfully some voices from within the church have spoken up on the issue of our national budget and what it means for our common life.  The 54-page “Priorities for a Faithful Budget” http://faithfulbudget.org/files/2012/03/Priorities-for-a-Faithful-Budget1.pdf is a call to our leaders to put care for neighbor and respect for all as the central principle in the federal budget.  I am pleased that my own denomination’s leaders (in the PCUSA) have signed on to this document. 
A wise preacher once said, “you can tell a lot about a nation by the way it spends its money.”[i]  What will our nation’s budget say about us?  Will it reflect a common respect and care for the inherent value of humanity or will it reflect the growing ethic of a value-added humanity?  Will it reflect care for “the least of these” or underwriting the wealth of the few?  Will the centering principle be “we the people” or “me the person” and the radical individualism of klepto-capitalism?
This is one of those places where the three taboo topics of religion, politics and money intersect.  And this is no time for the church to yield to Emily Post politeness.  We, as the community of Christ, need to speak up for an ethic of care and respect and against the destructive and dehumanizing forces of market-centered morality.
Jesus stood in solidarity with all those whom society deemed without value.  As the body of Christ in the world, we, the church, must do the same whether in the slums of Annawadi or in the halls of power.


[i] I do not recall who wrote the sermon from which this line comes.  If anyone knows who deserves the credit, please let me know and I will gladly make proper attribution.


No comments: